Telephone  01773 820478
Derwent Street | Belper | Derbyshire | DE56 1WN

Practice complaints procedure - information for patients
Derwent street dental practice

If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the dentists or any of the staff working in this practice, please let us know. We operate a practice complaints procedure. Our complaints system adheres to national criteria.

 How to complain


We hope most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If you’re problem cannot be sorted in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible-ideally, within a matter of days or at most a few weeks-because this will enable us to establish what happened most easily. If it is not possible to do that, please let us have the details of your complaint:  

  • Within 6 months of the incident that caused the problem; or
  • Within 6 months of discovering that you have a problem, provided this is within 12 months of the incident.

  • Complaints about the treatment you have received should be made to the dentist who normally sees you. Alternatively, you may ask for an appointment with one of the partners in order to discuss your concerns. He will explain the complaints procedure to you and will ensure that your concerns are dealt with promptly. It will help if you are as clear as possible about your complaint.

     What we shall do


    We shall acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days and aim to have looked into your complaint with 10 working days of the date you raised it with us. We shall then be in a position to give you an explanation, or offer a meeting with those involved.

    In investigating your complaint, we shall aim too:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Enable you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this;
  • Ensure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate;
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again.

  •  Complaining on behalf of someone else


    Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have the permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable of providing this because of physical or mental illness or are a child under 16 years.

     Complaining to Dental Complaints Service


    We hope that, if you have a problem, you will make use of our practice complaints procedure. We believe this will provide the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve our practice. However this does not affect your right to complain to the Dental Complaints Service, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us or you are dissatisfied with the result of our investigation.

    If you wish further advice you should contact:

    Dental Complaints Service
    Stephenson House
    2 Cherry Orchard Road
    CR0 6BA
    Tel: 020 8253 0800

    You may also like to contact The General Dental Council for more advice

    The General Dental Council
    37 Wimpole Street
    W1G 8DQ
    Tel: 020 7167 6000

    For those patients who have a complaint regarding treatment they have received under the NHS can also contact the primary care NHS trust/HB/- their contact details are as follow:

    NHS Derbyshire County,
    Trust Headquarters, Scarsdale,
    S41 7PF
    Tel: 01246 231255

    Or contact the NHS customer contact centre NHS England PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
    Tel: 0300 311 22 33

    For those patients registered with this practice with Denplan can contact Denplan by telephone for advice on: 0800 169 7220.